Epic Fail Weekend
So…last weekend I decided to work on my February Challenge vessel. The plan was to get started right after I threw in a load of laundry, which is when everything went to hell…
I go down to the basement to start a load of laundry and notice the floor is wet in the next room. I peek around the doorway and there is water spraying out of a tiny pinhole….AND…..it’s hot water. Now, our house was built in 1900 and the basement is only a partial basement, the rest is crawl space. It’s kinda icky down there, so unless I have a reason to go down, such as laundry, I don’t. Needless to say I hadn’t been in the basement for several days and have no idea how long the water has been spraying out. I can hardly wait to see my next water and gas bill. *sigh*
After we had a water pipe break in the upstairs bathroom several years ago and the resulting waterfall around the living room ceiling fan, I now know where the main water shut off valve is. I’d seriously like to know why these things always happen when my husband is at work. Anyway, I shut off the water and notice that it’s still spraying out of the pipe. Well duh, it’s coming from the hot water heater, which is still full.
I call my husband and tell him to come home. Then, I remembered that my granddaughter called me that morning (ok, she’s three and her mom did the calling) wanting grandma to cut her bangs. So, I call my daughter and tell her now is not a good time. I do a google search to see if we can temporarily fix it to get by until Monday. We tried a couple of things, which were also epic failures. Time to call a plumber. We live in a relatively small town and trying to get a hold of a plumber on the weekend is almost impossible. Finally, we heard back from a plumber and he came and replaced that section of pipe.
So…I decide to get started on my vessel, at least the base, before my daughter and grandkids show up. I have the whole thing worked out in my head and it’s going to be fabulous. The round container I wanted to cover was plastic and I know I should have tested it to see if it would hold up to curing temperature, but the plastic was pretty hard and I thought it should hold up. So I get it covered with polymer clay, smooth the seams and add texture, which all took some time to do. It goes into the oven just as my daughter and grandkids show up.
Well, you can see from the photo at the top what happened….
….even though I’ve been playing with polymer clay for well over 20 years, I still make stupid mistakes that result in an Epic Fail.